Monday, January 01, 2007

I want everybody in the whole stadium to stand up and sing with us

Yes, I am the victim of a Basketball Jones
Ever since I was a little baby, I always be dribblin'
In fac', I was de baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood
Then one day, my mama bought me a basketball
And I loved that basketball
I took that basketball with me everywhere I went
That basketball was like a basketball to me


Well it's the first day of another year and the second year that the Novelty Rock Emporium has been open for business.The NRE will continue to offer offbeat, unknown and sometimes forgotten eclectic tracks for you to be amazed by, often confounded and maybe also knocked sideways on occasions.
'Basketball Jones' was a song I always remembered and loved after seeing their cartoon video of the song on the BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test in the early 1970's (see the You Tube link below). Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong were a comedy duo who found a wide audience at that time for their comedy stand-up routines, which were based upon the era's hippie and drug culture movements. Cheech played a cholo from Los Angeles, while Chong was a burned-out 'druggie' whose entire life revolved around getting high.
The duo released a number of successful comedy albums and the classic film 'Up In Smoke' in 1978. Perhaps their all-time most famous line is "Dave's not here, man" (from their self-titled debut album).The duo separated in the 1980s due to creative differences.



Cheech And Chong - Basketball Jones

YOU TUBE LINK FOR VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KReGXDH20D8

ALL RECORDINGS ARE FOR YOUR AUDIO PLEASURE ONLY BUT IF YOUR ARE OFFENDED BY THE PUBLISHING OF THIS MATERIAL OR WANT TO REQUEST THE AUDIO SEGMENT REMOVED THEN PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT ON THE RELEVANT POST AND I WILL REMOVE IT

No comments: